Sunday, November 28, 2010

Awakening


I love the way the sun shines on the trees. It has nothing to do with this blog, I just like it!

As I sat at the organ Sunday, I looked around at the congregation.  Several thoughts ran through my mind about the branch.  When you live in big wards as we do at home, we don’t appreciate how nice it is until  
The area is depressed economically.  Many large businesses have closed their doors leaving families without work.  So, there is a great need for service here. One problem is lack of transportation so those who drive provide rides to church to those who don’t have a car.  So many of those providing rides hold leadership positions that require them to be to church early for correlation meeting. Either those needing rides have to come early or we have to hustle after the meeting to pick up these members and get back in time for church.

Many of the active members are in the 70,s - 80’s.  One sister is 93.  Most of these have many medical ailments that limit them in their activities. This doesn’t leave too many who can give physical service. Also, if we don’t get more young people here, the branch will eventually just disappear. I also wondered what we can do to help members realize their role, and act upon it to help retain new converts awakening moments when a very strong thought came to me which said, “And what are you going to do when you get home?”  So basically, I see the importance of member involvement here, but ignored it before we came and I need to commit myself to continue my efforts here, and then continue when I get home.

We loved the leadership training broadcast.  What really hit me was the “read, understand, follow” message. This applies to so many aspects of the gospel.  My first thought was applying this to the scriptures. It’s so easy to just “read” them, and I need to go beyond reading - I need to understand them and follow or apply them more to my life.  It also applies to church callings, missionary work, and just being more Christ-like. We have to get information, understand, and then act upon that which we learn. I guess it’s time to get started!



No comments:

Post a Comment